Thursday, November 17, 2016

Auxiliary power supply

I fitted the nearside under dash tray today. A reverse of the driver's side, so it was easy, except I added a 12v power supply outlet.

Auxiliary power supply

The power outlet that I used was an Audi part that is used extensively by the VW group, so can be found in VW, Audi, Bentley cars etc. I bought mine from Prestige Motor Services (see link on right). This is a neat solution that hides under the nearside dash and can be closed when not in use. It pops down when needed and closes up when not needed. It avoids having the power outlet on show for example on the dashboard, which seems wrong for a Cobra - even a modern take on one like mine.

The power supply will go on the passenger side nearest the transmission tunnel. I had to take care marking out where the heater outlet and the power supply unit needed to fit, as they go between the two cross braces. An oblong was cut out of the under dash tray for the power unit. Here I drilled holes at each corner of the area to cut out, then I used a jig saw to cut out the hole, before finishing with a hand file. The aluminium was too thin for the power supply clips, so small pieces of aluminium (shims) were cut to pack out the clips (see photo below). These were glued in place.

Reverse of under dash tray showing small shims at either end of power unit
Looking from foot well
The wiring will be completed when I fit the dashboard.

No comments: