Monday, March 28, 2016

Dashboard - part 3

Today was gluing the leather. Don't rush it I told myself.

The dash leather was pre-cut to shape about 25mm extra all round. First I glued the bottom in place - about 30mm wrapped around the bottom, but not on to the back. Next I glued the top in place, gently pulling the leather tight.
Lower lip glued, but top edge still to do
Top edge gently pulled over and glued
Then I spent ages trimming the ends, around the tight radius. No tips here, just have patience. I then stuck the piping in place. This was a case of applying the  adhesive onto the piping edging and on to the back (about 10mm) and top of the dash. The piping was then carefully fixed after the glue had gone tacky.
Piping glued to blank dash
Top piping
Next I cut out the hole for the steering column, leaving sufficient leather to stick to the lip. The top of this hole is curved, so I made a number of V nicks in the leather, before applying the adhesive. Then I stuck on the piping to finish it off.
Hole for steering column piped

No comments: