Saturday, January 03, 2015

Other tools for Cobra build

I have just ordered a Dremel with the hole cutter (especially useful for the front lights on the Cobra replica I have read) and the quick release chuck via Amazon!

Dremel 4000 1/65, with hole cutter
So my list of outstanding tools has just reduced. Now for a trip to Machine Mart for the other bits.

I've been corresponding with and talking to the engine builder and I think that I am getting closer to knowing what I want. It is looking like a 460 bhp and 450 ft lb of torque 5.7 litre Chevy LS6 engine because it produces a little more power than the LS3 (even though the stock LS3 is a 6.2 litre) it delivers it a bit better and is a little less in terms of cost than a new LS3. I think it will suit me better than the Chevy 383 small block engine, because I like its looks, it is newer technology and should, in my opinion, be a little less temperamental and I am not trying to build a period replica. The LS6 engine is no longer produced, but with a new reg car, I can have one major used/refreshed part, so this could be the engine.

Chevy LS6 engine
For the gearbox I think it will be a Tremec T56 Magnum (a 6 speed). Looking at the ratios of the 'box with the 3.23:1 diff, the T56 Magnum seems to offer better spaced gearing than the TKOs and in theory 270 mph in 6th at the red line (lol)! However, it will cost more than the other options.

Tremec T56 Magnum gearbox