Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Carpets part 1

A pile of carpet pieces arrived, with no instructions. At first I thought that I knew where each bit went, but when it came to it I didn't. When I looked at other blogs, I found that they assumed we all knew where to put the bits too.

Boot carpet

So here is my take on where all the pieces go, starting with the boot:
Side panels near lights in boot
Side panels above rear axle area in boot
Main floor piece above rear axle, fuel tank and vertical surfaces of wheel arches in boot
Rear floor area and up under boot lock striker plate
Main boot floor area
So, once I had worked that lot out, it was down to sticking in place what I could. As it turned out not much!

I put the carpet sections in place, then marked the edges in pencil. I realised that at this stage I could only fix the side panels. Contact adhesive was applied to the body in these areas and the carpet, then allowed to dry for around 10 minutes before offering up to its final place. The carpet was firmly pressed against the side, once it was in place.
Side panel above rear axle glued in place
Rear side panel glued in place
This was repeated on the other side.

Transmission tunnel carpet

Whilst this was not glued, it was fixed by the front cross-brace mounting feet. It will not be glued in place until after the body is mounted on the chassis. I had fitted rivnuts into the transmission tunnel below the cross-brace feet. I made sure that the carpet was in its correct position. Then from underneath I poked a thin screw driver through the rivnuts to make holes in the carpet. The holes were enlarged a little with a craft knife and then screws were fitted along with a few washers to pack out the carpet to bracket gap.
Carpet fixed down on transmission tunnel
The central under dash plate was fitted to the cross-braces, using M5 button heads and nyloc nuts.
Central under dash panel fitted

No comments: