Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Carpet part 2

I decided to fit some more of the carpets today and tackled the outside face around the door.

As I am fitting courtesy lights in the footwells, I joined the live wire (purple/white) to the light and then to the switch. The other wire (black) was connected to the other side of the switch. The wires were tucked into the hinge recess and taken up behind the roll of the scuttle. Carpet is then laid over the recess. The wires will be tidied up once the under dash cover is fitted.
Wires for courtesy light being fitted in place
Next I tackled the drivers side carpet. Who put those pedals there? Not much space here. You need to be a contortionist to complete this bit, pushing the carpet into place, then cutting around the pedal box and the accelerator hole before gluing in place!

I applied contact adhesive to the body and carpet ahead of the door up towards the windscreen stanchion. After allowing ten minutes I fixed the carpet in place, making sure that the door area would line up okay. Once I was happy with this I glued the other areas of the carpet and firmed down by hand.

Next I glued the vinyl edging to both sides of the lip and formed this around the door opening by hand. This required a few cuts to avoid it puckering up. The rubber edging strip was then tapped into place (trapping the vinyl edging) around the door opening. The vinyl was then carefully trimmed from the outside, so that it couldn't be seen.

The door closes really nicely now that the rubber seal is in place. At this stage I left the seal a bit long at the hinge end and did not trim the carpet. I will trim this back later. The process was then repeated on the other side of the car.

Carpet fixed in place on the outer side and rubber sealing strip fitted

No comments: