Friday, December 18, 2015

Propshaft fitted

Propshaft

The propshaft is tiny. In fact when I brought the stuff from GD, I thought that they had forgotten to put it in with the other bits. But it was me who had overlooked it!

To make assembly easier, the propshaft is connected to the diff prior to installing the engine/gearbox assembly. The four high tensile bolts needed shortening, prior to fitting to the diff. These are fixed with nyloc nuts.
Propshaft bolted to diff
The yoke is already fitted to the propshaft (I had exchanged my yoke with GD). The yoke was lubricated with the gearbox oil so that the splined part of the yoke was ready to inserted in to the gearbox tail when the assembly is inserted in to the chassis.

Gearbox mounting

The gearbox mount was fixed to the tail of the gearbox. First I had to clean out the holes in the mount, which were full of rubber. Initially I carefully drilled the hole with a smaller drill, using the pillar drill, then gradually turned in the bolt until it would go home fully.
Rubber mount fitted to the gearbox tail
Thermostat housing

Due to the tightness of the engine bay on the GD, it is necessary to fit a straight thermostat housing. This is either a modified housing or a new purpose made one. I chose the latter. This is simply a case of replacing one with the other.
Straight thermostat housing

No comments: