Saturday, December 26, 2015

Rocker covers

As the rocker covers were a little rough to say the least, I decided to repaint them.
Poxy paint on rocker cover!
My first attempt with the red spray paint from Europa Spares and baking (as per the can), did not work. It looked ok prior to the oven, but came out bubbled! Not sure if this was the paint or the preparation by me. But whatever, it didn't work.

The paint on the covers was scraped off, treated with Nitromors, rubbed down with wire wool, to the bare aluminium then degreased.
Bare rocker cover
The rocker covers were then painted yet again, this time with high temperature engine enamel by brush. I tried one rocker cover first just in case! Red only seems stable up to 300 deg C (black and silver seem to go up to at least 600 deg), but I reckon for the rocker covers this should be okay. The paint, from Halfords, needs 80-90 minutes to become touch dry, but a second coat must be applied within two hours - so a 30 minute slot! This time it is a gloss red, which with hindsight, is better than the matt finish.
Off side rocker cover in place
I have done the one cover completely, the other side is now ready for painting. By painting the rocker covers, I may also avoid the need to add beauty covers, but we will see!


No comments: