Thursday, February 04, 2016

Body Finally secure!

I had two bolts that had not been secured when I fixed the body.

With one, the bolt would not go in. With the other the insert turned in the mounting. NOTE: Put the bolts in fully finger tight only. If a bolt bottoms out on the chassis shorten it and try again. Do not use a spanner or socket until the bolt is fully home or you risk turning the rivnut in the rubber mount. The aim is to tighten the body against the mounting. If you don't do this, it could be a body up or out job!

Luckily the first one that would not go in was resolved with a tap to clean out the thread. The tap was lined up and carefully turned in the mounting. The bolt then went in with my fingers. This mounting was by the nearside bulkhead under the wheel arch. If this hadn't worked then it would have been a body off job!

The second mounting that had the turning insert was at the rear offside of the transmission tunnel. Here I removed all the other bolts on the body and the air filter. I then jacked up the back of the car under the boot. The mounting was removed and a nut and bolt inserted and tightened (a bit like a rivnut tool) to squash the insert. Once I was happy that it would not turn, I re-fixed the mounting to the chassis. As a precaution I did the same at the other side too.

The body was then lowered back over the mountings. The bolts were re-fitted by lifting or lowering the body to align the holes. Each bolt was cleaned and re-greased before it was re-fitted into the holes.

Job done! One very pleased Cobra builder.

No comments: