Thursday, February 11, 2016

Preparing for the carpet

Sound proofing

Before I fix the carpets in place, I thought that I would apply some "sound proofing" to reduce the chance of resonance from the body. It sounds crazy putting in sound proofing in an open top sports car, but .... These panels were self-adhesive and of a rubber type material, so easy to apply and cut. The panels were applied around the transmission tunnel. Carpet will go over them.
"Sound proofing" material
More under seal

Whilst strictly not necessary, I applied under seal to the sills. This makes the body look, well slimmer!
Sill under sealed
Whilst I was at it, I did the back of the boot bulkhead, as this is not carpeted. My logic is that it is white, whilst the carpet is black and it is better to do it now, rather than after the roll over bars are fitted.
Boot back under sealed
Door seal finishers

Without finishers, the door seal looks, ....... well unfinished! Not a cheap solution, but it does look so much better. The top of the lip was cut off and will be gel coated later. About 30 mm of the curved lip is removed using the Dremel.
Door seal finisher

No comments: